Sunday, July 17, 2011

Older dog and new puppy problems?

Recently our 16-year-old mixed breed dog died, our Oliver. We have a 7-year-old peekapoo named Badger who was joined at the hip with him. Well, he has moped and moped, but we had our son's 4-year-old French bulldog staying with us on and off and so Badger had her for distraction. But now my son's circumstances have changed and he can take his dog with him, so now she only "visits" us when he's out of town or something. We went ahead and bought a new peekapoo puppy (12 wks), thinking this would "cheer" Badger up and provide a distraction and hopefully a companion. It's not working. He growls at the new puppy and won't let him eat his puppy food. I have to pick the puppy up and hold the bowl for him to eat or else Badger will eat his good in basically one gulp. When the little fellow tries to engage him, he either growls, snarls, or totally ignores him. I'm at a loss. When we brought Badger into our lives, Oliver was seven then and Oliver treated him as if he were the momma (or daddy) of the new puppy...instantly! That's the only experience I've had with this sort of situation so was expecting the same thing (more or less) to happen with Badger and the new puppy. I would love any advice you can give me. It is breaking my heart for the little one and I worry he is going to be continually anxious. He acts like he's frightened of his shadow as it is. Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment